Manhattan School of Music and Teachers College Columbia University offer a dual degree at the Master’s level. This accelerated program, designed to be completed in three years, gives the student an MM (Master of Music) from Manhattan School of Music and an EdM (Master of Education) in Music Education with New York State K–12 Music Teacher Certification from Teachers College Columbia University.
Students spend the first two years at Manhattan School of Music completing requirements for the Master of Music degree; they must identify their interest in the dual-degree program during their first semester, in time to complete course requirements at Manhattan School of Music. Students must complete 13 to 15 credits of required coursework at Manhattan School of Music, as well as at least 35 hours of supervised educational outreach fieldwork. Students take 3 to 6 credits at Teachers College the summer following graduation from Manhattan School of Music, 10 to 12 additional credits that fall, and two sections of student teaching the following spring, along with any remaining courses required at Teachers College.
To be considered for acceptance into the program, Manhattan School of Music students must have at least a 3.0 GPA and successfully complete the Teachers College Columbia University dual-degree admission process, which involves:
- Applying to Teachers College by submitting an application form and fee
- Having a successful progress review meeting with the Director of Community Partnerships and the Vice President for Academics and Performance
- Supplying two letters of recommendation from Manhattan School of Music, one from the Director of Community Partnerships and one from the Vice President for Academics and Performance
- Providing official transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate work
- Submitting a personal statement about teaching experiences at Manhattan School of Music and the decision to pursue an additional degree in music education
Note: This program is for current and prospective Manhattan School of Music students. Prior coursework will not count towards the requirements for this program. For detailed information, please contact the Director of Community Partnerships at Manhattan School of Music.
Specific courses and degree sequence plans can be found in the 2012-2013 Course Catalog.
- Acceptance into MM program at Manhattan School of Music
- Fulfillment of required Manhattan School of Music coursework and fieldwork
- A GPA of at least 3.0
- Completed Teachers College application
- Teachers College TOEFL requirements