The Amateur Chamber Musicians Festival will not be offered in 2014 due to both scheduling and building maintenance issues. Please check back in Fall 2014 for updates regarding the next Amateur Chamber Musicians Festival.
Linda Chesis and David Geber, Artistic Directors
Lynne Normandia, Manager
Christine Carter, Coordinator
Experienced adult amateur chamber musicians will have the opportunity to study, rehearse, and perform works from the chamber music repertory coached by professional chamber musicians and distinguished faculty from one of the world’s leading conservatories.
Participants will receive a week of intensive coaching, and an individual private lesson on chamber music, culminating in performances in Manhattan School of Music’s premier performance venues.
Eligible instruments include piano, violin, viola, cello, flute, clarinet, oboe, bassoon and horn. Pre-formed amateur chamber groups are also welcome and encouraged to apply. Enrollment is limited in order to balance repertoire and instrumentation.
The Festival will include master classes, seminars in rehearsal process, sight reading and performance psychology, as well as group instruction in the Alexander Technique from distinguished instructor Lauren Schiff.There will also be the opportunity to explore New York City’s offerings and to attend concerts and cultural events during the week.
Sample daily schedule
Frequently asked questions
What You Get
- 8 hours of chamber coaching with professional faculty
- 12 hours of chamber rehearsals
- 6 hours of professional training workshops (e.g., including Alexander Technique, Sight-Reading, Practice Techniques)
- 30 minute private lesson/student on related chamber music
- Masterclass, dress rehearsal, and final concert all in MSM venues
- Free faculty concert
- Wine reception on opening night
- Daily coffee/snack break provided
- Reasonable additional fee accommodation available in the MSM dorms - immerse yourself in the conservatory experience!
To apply to the Amateur Chamber Musicians Festival, please download and complete the Festival Application. Thank you!